Let the Sunshine In! As the days start getting longer and temperatures begin to rise, it’s time to start thinking about how you can best prepare your home for warmer weather.
From spring cleaning and downsizing your space to ensuring all of your safety checks are up-to-date, there is a lot that goes into making sure you and your family are ready for warmer months ahead!
In this blog post, we will provide some useful tips on how to properly get your home ready for the season – so keep reading if you're looking for ways to get started today!
Start Spring Cleaning
Spring has arrived, and with it, our yearning to open the windows and freshen up the house! We know that spring cleaning comes with a certain amount of work, but that is all part of creating a clean and cozy home for our family.
From washing windows to washing blankets and comforters, there is nothing like starting the season off by doing a thorough deep clean of your home. Plus, who can resist the pleasant scent of freshly washed bedding or freshly wiped counters?
The Ultimate Spring Cleaning Checklist:
- Dust surfaces, furniture and decorations
- Vacuum carpets, rugs and upholstery
- Mop hardwood and tile floors
- Wash windows and window treatments
- Organize closets, drawers and cabinets
- Disinfect bathrooms and kitchen areas
- Clean fridge, oven, stovetop and microwaves
- Wash bedding, blankets and comforters
- Sanitize pillows, curtains and other fabrics
- Scrub outdoor furniture
- Clear gutters
Declutter Your Space
With the warmer weather having finally arrived, now is the perfect time to declutter your space and start fresh! Decluttering not only helps with creating a more organized and aesthetically pleasing home, but it can also provide you with more room for storage, inviting guests, and even just relaxing.
Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Make a plan: Break down what needs to be done into manageable tasks.
- Set goals: Identify what specific steps need to be taken in order to achieve your desired outcome.
- Start small: Tackle one area of the house at a time, such as closets, drawers or cabinets.
- Group similar items: Sort through items and group them into categories, like books, electronics or clothes.
- Create storage areas: Store items in designated places so that it's easier to find them later on.
- Bag or box up donations: As you go through items, make sure to put aside any that can be donated or thrown away.
- Reorganize spaces: Arrange furniture and belongings in ways that best suit your space and your lifestyle.
Perform Safety Checks
As the warmer months roll in, it's important to make sure that your home is safe and secure. This means checking smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers, as well as ensuring that your home's security system is up-to-date.
Here are some essential safety tips to keep in mind when preparing your home for the season:
- Check for pests: Look for any signs of insect or animal infestations.
- Inspect decks and balconies: Look for signs of wear and tear that could lead to accidents.
- Check window screens: Replace torn or damaged screens so you can enjoy fresh air without risking bugs or critters entering your home.
- Test smoke alarms: Make sure detectors have batteries and are working properly.
- Clean gutters: Remove leaves, twigs, dirt and debris from rain gutters in order to prevent flooding or water damage.
- Store flammable materials safely: Put all combustible material away from sources of heat such heaters, stoves or fireplaces.
- Inspect hoses and faucets: Make sure they are not leaking and in good condition before using them outdoors.
Taking the time to prepare your home for warmer weather can help create a safe and comfortable environment for everyone. From spring cleaning to performing safety checks, there are many important tasks that should be completed. We hope these tips have given you some ideas on how to get started today! With just a few simple steps, you will be ready to welcome the warmer months with open arms and a home that is ready for whatever comes your way. Have fun and enjoy the season!
If you're looking for more helpful tips and advice from Alder&Owl, be sure to keep an eye on our Grand Blog!